Happy New Year from the Kiddovate team! We hope you’re kicking off 2017 with a renewed sense of passion, purpose, and of course, creativity! We’ve come up with a handful of resolutions for you
1. Model your own creativity first. Be open with your students about your passions and talents—and the innovative ways in which you seek to live them out every day.
2. Make room for inspiration. The best way to increase creative output is to increase creative input. Check out the Kiddovate Ignite or Inspire decks for vibrant visual stimulation.
3. Ask "what if?" more often. It’s a simple question to gets kids’ minds moving. Then encourage them to expand with "yes, and..." responses. You’ll be amazed at all the ideas flying around the room.
4. Pursue a passion project. Set aside even as little as ten percent of your day so that students can work on something they love. At the end of the week, or the semester, have students present their ideas with conviction.
5. Celebrate failures. Creativity isn’t one magical moment; it’s trial and error and iteration. Encourage students to assess what went wrong and why. Then cheer them on as they get up, dust themselves off, and continue onward.
We wish you and your students all the best as you embark on this year filled with potential.
How do you plan to cultivate creativity in your classroom this year? Let us know in the comments below.